Friday, February 02, 2007

Scorcese's Homage to Hawks

Saw a really nice photo montage over at the Miami Herald courtesy of Rene Rodriguez. It puts together shots from Scorcese's remake of INFERNAL AFFAIRS, THE DEPARTED. Though I saw THE DEPARTED a few months ago, the jury is still out for me on whether I liked it or not. Quite a bit of it stuck with me, such as the Mark Wahlberg's performance and some of the better "tough guy" lines ("What, are you on your period?").

What didn't stick with me -- I'll admit that I didn't even notice it -- was Scorcese's homage to Howard Hawks's SCARFACE (1932). Both films play with the X shape as a sign of death or impending doom. I might have to check out THE DEPARTED again on DVD to catch this. Perhaps this time I'll be able to stay more alert during this 151-minute film.

No comments:

Post a Comment